Kits & Sponsors

Prior to their entry into the Football League Boro wore blue and white, but changed to red and white for their Football League debut in 1899.

When Boro moved to Ayresome Park in 1903 their kit comprised of red shirts and white shorts, with red stockings. Apart from short spells with black stockings, white shoulders, variations of red/white  stockings, and various collar designs, the kit didn't change until the 1969, when an all red kit was introduced.

In 1973 Jack Charlton introduced the iconic white chest band and in the first season wearing it Boro romped away with the Division 2 title. Hence, the kit has a special place in the memories of many Boro fans. The kit was worn for five seasons before Boro reverted back to an all red kit.

The financial pressures of football began to take hold in the 1970's when Admiral, Umbro and Buckta began to include their logo's on their kits. Then in 1979 Liverpool became the first top English club to wear a sponsors name on their shirts, Hitachi.

Boro joined the bandwagon in 1980 with a sponsorship deal from Datsun Cleveland, which lasted for two seasons. This was followed by several sponsorship deals with local companies, as listed below. Boro did not sign a deal with a national company until the move to the Riverside Stadium.

White shorts were re-introduced in the early 1980's, and remained until Boro left Ayresome Park, while the shirts and stockings appeared in different guises. The introduction of a new kit every two seasons coincided with new sponsors, as football became bigger off the pitch, than on it.

1980-82   -    Datsun Cleveland by Adidas
1982-84   -    McLean Homes by Adidas/Hummel
1984-86   -    Cameron's (Hansa on away kit) by Hummel
1986-88   -    Dickens (Hansa on away kit) by Hummel/Skill
1988-90   -    Heritage Hampers by Skill
1990-92   -    Evening Gazette by Skill
1992-94   -    ICI by Admiral
1994-95   -    Dickens by Errea

Boro took full advantage of advertising as far back as the 1930's when the North Stand was adorned with the words "STANTONIA FOOTWEAR". In the modern era the North Stand was adorned with adverts for South Cleveland Garages and the Business Furniture Centre. Later, in 1989, the North Stand entered the Guinness Book of Records, as the largest advertising hoarding in the world (23,228 sq. ft), for Heritage Hampers.
   

During the final years of the stadiums life all four stands were used for advertising. The South Stand advertised Russell Office Supplies, followed by local radio station TFM. The East Stand advertised Sigma Coatings and the West Stand (Holgate) advertised the Evening Gazette, followed by K Home Engineering.
    
                  
    
      
National Blood Service - Do Something Amazing - Give Blood
    
 
Copyright © 2002-2017 ayresomepark.co.uk